Friday, October 21, 2016

In Which There are Memories and Squee

The Plan is inching forward. There has been much discussion about schools and areas and finalizing of how we want to handle living arrangements. At this point it all boils down to financials and getting rid of our albatross of a house, which just takes time. So, we'll continue dreaming and planning and doing what we can to get our house in sell-able condition. Here are the things I'd like to do to get it ready:

1. Floors: We have lots of carpet that needs to be changed to laminate or wood or tile
2. Paint: Every interior surface (including the ceilings) of our home is the same awful, bland, Caucasian-flesh-colored beige. Yuck.
3. Kitchen: Our microwave is installed with a tilt to the front, and our stove/oven is a different color than the other appliances. I hate the counter tops, they're a sickly beige as well (who does that??). But that is too expensive to change just to sell.

Until we can do that, I'm just going to work on trying to keep my house from devolving further into madness. Thank goodness my husband is as helpful with it as he is, otherwise it would be a real shit show. I went on a mad google-spree trying to find helpful tips on cleaning and organization, but kept running into things like, "Just start!" and "The most important thing is actually DOING it!" so I dropped that like a hot rock.

ANYWHO! I'm mega-geeked about all the fun stuff coming up! SQUEEEEE!

The air show is this weekend!! I know it's weird, but I flipping love the air show. Several years ago we had the best day watching it so now I just have super positive memory association. The day was gorgeous, cool enough that we needed jackets. The sun was so bright and clear that everything looked like it had an instagram filter on it. There were cookies and hot dogs, the boys ran around like maniacs, and the jets flew right over our heads. It was before my kids had iPads, and it was just us and our buddy Jeff. It was just such a nice, simple, relaxing day and one that I will always remember. There was this rare feeling of being nostalgic for a moment that is actively happening that I can't quite explain. Somehow, I knew it was so good and so sweet that I already didn't want it to end. I'm hoping to recapture a bit of it tomorrow.

Halloween Film Festival is coming up quickly, too! It's the 28th-30th. If you don't already know, I have a great friend who hosts a 3 day film festival at his house every Halloween, this is the 19th year! There's always great snacks and food and people and movies. It's my favorite part of my favorite holiday, and I cannot wait for it. The boys are spending the night with their cousin on Saturday, so Ralph and I will get to attend together, something that has been rare in the past few years. When I was a free-wheeling singleton I used to be there for breakfast on both days, and stayed for every movie. Great memories. This year the boys are coming with us to an early showing of the movie "Super 8" because it's kid friendly and early in the day. I'm hoping they'll behave with bribes of snacks offered and won't be too freaked out by some of the Halloween decorations. I'm pretty stoked for them to have their first official Rugerian Halloween Film Festival experience. I think the first one I ever attended was the 3rd year, so it's definitely an important tradition for me.

There's also basketball x2 tomorrow as per ushe, and the League City Harvest Festival which sounds like fun, and I don't think I've seen my mom in real life for over two weeks, so I'll probably end up hanging out with her at some point, too. My favorite kind of weekend, so much awesome stuff to do, and such a great time of year for it. Sorry for being a starry-eyed Pollyanna about it, but it's kind of how I go. I love you guys, all of you. I hope everyone enjoys this gorgeous weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment